NetWorld2020 is the European Technology Platform for communications networks and services. Communications networks enable interaction between users of various types of equipment, either mobile or fixed; they are the foundation of the Internet. The NetWorld2020 European Technology Platform gathers players of the communications networks sector: industry leaders, innovative SMEs, and leading academic institutions.
The communications networks industry is supporting the following NetWorld2020 vision for the further development of mobile and wireless, fixed and satellite communications:
- Contribute to collaborative research programmes on European and national level for collaborative research in the domain of mobile and wireless, fixed and satellite communication networks by a regularly updated research agenda.
- Future communication networks will provide
- Significantly higher mobile and wireless area capacity and more varied service capabilities compared to 2010, which will be supported by fixed backbone and access networks and complemented by satellite networks.
- Saving 90% of energy per service provided.
- Reducing the service creation time cycle significantly.
- Creating a secure, reliable and dependable Internet with zero perceived downtime for services.
- Facilitating very dense deployments of mobile and wireless communication links for over 7 trillion wireless devices serving over 7 billion people.
- Ensuring User controlled privacy.
- Support for business & government processes improves the competitiveness of the European economy.
- Services hide complexity from the user with interoperability between different access systems.
- Multi-layered mobility – users move & change devices, sub-networks in trains & cars move, software moves.
- Peer-to-peer communities emerge to empower people to collaborate.
- Opportunities for social applications expand through always-with-you qualities and reducing isolation.
This results in the mission statement of the NetWorld2020 Platform:
- To develop position papers on technological, research-oriented and societal issues, which are agreed in NetWorld2020 bodies to receive a joint mandate.
- To seek discussion of issues with decision makers in the political and public domain as well as in the industry and research community to bridge the gap between research and innovation and the expectations from the European society.
- To regularly develop an updated Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda (SRIA) for Europe in the communication networks domain in an open process in order to guide industrial and long-term oriented research and to provide means for future economic exploitation in global standards and the widespread deployment of communication systems and networks.
- To strengthen Europe’s leadership in networking technology and services so that it best serves Europe’s citizens and the European economy.
- To support the 5G PPP initiative by
- Providing the Association members, representing a broad spectrum of the 5G stakeholders, through an open election process
- Producing a comprehensive Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda for the 5G domain with frequent updates, and
- Promoting the active involvement of the ETP community in 5G initiative proposals and projects
- To support general communication networks R&D&I issues.