1. Satellite Communications in a nutshell
Satellite communications systems encompass a wide range of solutions providing communication services via satellite(s) as illustrated in the scheme below.
Space component of communication systems are located in the outer space following different types of orbit among which, Geostationary (GEO), Medium Earth Orbiting (MEO), High Elliptical Orbit (HEO) or Low Earth Orbiting (LEO). SatComs operates in Frequency bands allocated to Broadcasting, Fixed or Mobile Satellite services in low frequency bands (below 3 GHz, such as VHF, UHF, L and S band) or in higher frequency bands (above 3 GHz, such as C, X, Ku, Ka, Q and V bands).
SatCom systems can address a wide range of services broadcast, broadband and narrowband services to fixed, portable and mobile terminals over global or regional coverage. Some SatCom systems provide service coverage all over the earth including the north and south poles.
They are well recognised to provide a resilient and ubiquitous service and to be particularly cost effective for “one to many” (broadcast) and “many to one” (data collection) services which is ideal to complement other telecommunication technologies to meet the “everything, everywhere, all the time” Internet paradigm.
Hover over the light-green boxes to get more information!
2. Overall objectives
- To define Vision and priorities for SatCom related research topics: Among other fostering Fixed/mobile Satellite network convergence with 5G network
- To analyze the EC policies and communications related to SatCom R&D, develop and convey the sector position towards the EU stakeholders
- To interface with European (such as DG Enterprise) and national organizations and other ETPs for space related matters
- To foster the link between Research and standards (support related policy)
- To interface with the New-ETP Steering Board for harmonization and coordination
3. SatCom WG organisation
3.1 Vision task force
- To define Vision for SatCom related research topics: Among other fostering fixed/mobile Satellite network convergence with 5G network
3.2 Research strategy sub-group
- Define and Prioritize the SatCom related research topics
- Communicate the SatCom WG proposed inputs to H2020 research plan to European and national bodies such as DG Connect, DG Enterprise, ESA and national space agencies, Eurospace and ESOA (objective is communication, endorsement by public bodies and duplication avoidance).
3.3 Policy & promotion sub-group
- Promote the need for financial support for European SatCom industry’s research and innovation activities towards the European institutions.
- Analyze the EC policies/communication related to SatCom R&D, develop and convey the sector position towards the EU stakeholders.
3.4 Standardization & regulatory sub-group
- Foster the link between SatCom Research and standards (support related policy)
- Liaise with ETSI and other Standardization bodies whenever relevant (e.g.TC-SES/ETSI)
- Identify possible impact on the regulatory framework associated to research topics
4. SatCom WG Publications
Whitepapers: The role of satellites in 5G (v5) (published 31/07/14)
5. SatCom WG key contacts
WG chairman: Mrs Elisabeth Weller from EUTELSAT: eweller(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)eutelsat.com
Vision Task force leader: Rainer Wansch from Fraunhoffer IIS: rainer.wansch(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)iis.fraunhofer.de
Research strategy sub-group leader: Barry Evans from University of Surrey: B.Evans(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)surrey.ac.uk
Policy& promotion sub-group leader: Agnès Salvatori from Airbus DS: agnes.salvatori(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)astrium.eads.net
Standardization & regulatory sub-group leader: Ana Yun from Thales Alenia Space: ana.yungarcia(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)thalesaleniaspace.com