NetWorld2020 is closely related to the Association of the 5G-PPP. The Association was setup in order to have a legal entity that could sign the PPP contract with EC. NetWorld2020 ETP is not a legal entity that can sign contracts, therefore setting up the Association was needed.
- All 30 members of the NetWorld2020 Steering Board have automatically become members of the Association’s General Assembly. Six additional members have been elected by the NetWorld2020 members to join the Association’s GA in order to bring in additional competences, which is another merit the Association yields . All 36 (full) members of the GA have voting rights, and all were required to sign a members’ agreement.
- The Association has invited further so called Associate Members to join the Association. This is to widen the scope and competence even further and to include further stakeholder groups. Associate members do not have voting rights. The number of Associate members should not exceed the number of full (voting) members.
- The Association will be bound to the decisions of the ETP SB in order to ensure that also the Association can claim to have the mandate from the wider community that the ETP SB has.
The major tasks of the 5G Infrastructure Association are
- to provide – together with the Commission – a research agenda and to propose research priorities for the 5G-PPP,
- to monitor the overall progress on the 5G-PPP roadmap and the sector in general, and
- to provide info to EC about leveraging of public funding in industry.
Participation in 5G-PPP projects and project selection process – FAQ
- Question: “If my organisation would like to join research projects in 5G PPP, is it necessary to join the Networld2020 ETP and 5G PPP? What’s the difference?”
- Answer: Research projects in Horizon 2020 and 5G PPP are based on open calls for proposals. After a call is published, consortia are built. Networld2020 and 5G PPP are only facilitators of the 5G PPP programme. However, building consortia for proposal submission is independent of membership in Networld2020 and 5G PPP. The evaluation of proposals is organised by the EU Commission by means of independent evaluators. Networld2020 and 5G PPP do not have influence on the evaluation process.
- Regarding the difference between Networld2020 and 5G PPP, Networld2020 is a European Technology Platform with about 1000 member organisations. It is not a legal entity. Networld2020 develops a research agenda and white papers. 5G PPP is a sub-research programme under Horizon 2020. The 5G Infrastructure Association is a legal entity and is the counterpart in the 5G PPP contract to the EU Commission.
The selection of 5G PPP projects from among the received proposals and the preparation of grant agreements will be entirely under the responsibility of EC, i.e. the 5G PPP Association is not involved in that.
NetWorld2020 will support the 5G PPP initiative by
- Providing the Association members, representing a broad spectrum of the 5G stakeholders, through an open election process
- Producing a comprehensive Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda for the 5G domain with frequent updates, and
- Promoting the active involvement of the ETP community in 5G initiative proposals and projects
Further background on 5G-PPP
- The reason for launching the 5G PPP initiative was the grown awareness that ICT infrastructure and communication networks have to be further developed towards 2020 in order to strengthen the global competitiveness of European industry. This created the window of opportunity for a new PPP focusing on networking infrastructures.
- The work on the preparation of the 5G PPP proposal has its roots in the Net!Works ETP. First discussions on setting up a new communications networks-oriented PPP started in July 2012. The EU Commission invited European based industry for an orientation discussion in order to identify the most promising direction of a new initiative. The Competitiveness Week organized by European Commission in September 2012 was then also one key milestone for discussing research priorities for Europe in the context of H2020. The actual development of a formal proposal started in January 2013.
- The technology basis of the PPP was taken from the SRA of the former Net!Works ETP. A set of research priorities that focus on the lower layers of the protocol stack were defined (in contrast to the more service-focused FI-PPP).
- A public consultation on the proposal for the 5G PPP has been launched in May 2013 (see details). Among others, input was also made from the former ISI ETP during the public consultation. This was a valuable enhancement in order to achieve a broad representation of the sector.
- The options for the legal framework are laid down in article 19 of the EC proposal framework for Horizon 2020. The available options were either a JTI or a Contractual PPP. The decision was made to go for a Contractual PPP. Article 19 in Horizon 2020 regulations requires that the PPP contract is signed with the EC, i.e. this required the setup of a legal entity on the private side of the PPP. This entity is called “Association” in the proposal. The “5G Infrastructure Association” has been setup as an international non-profit association under Belgian law – contractual counterpart of the EU Commission for signing the 5G PPP contract on 17 December 2013. Please note that the Public counterpart is only the EC, not the Member States.
For more information, please visit the 5G PPP website.